As soon as I heard “Nutella Caramel Salted Chocolate Cookies” from an old coworker, I knew I needed the recipe. She kindly pointed me to this blog: http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2013/09/twc-feat-sorted-video-salted-caramel-nutella-stuffed-double-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
Now all I needed was a good excuse to bake them. Superbowl seemed like as good an excuse as any! So these guys I shaped into footballs and used a simple icing to draw on the laces (simple icing = powdered sugar and water!)
I couldn’t find the right candy, so I went with Cadbury Dairy Milk Caramel (not my first choice, and I would probably look for Rolos or regular ol’ caramels if I did it again).
They baked up oh so ooey gooey inside
Another ooey gooey picture just for fun.
GREAT recipe! Though next time I’d go with a regular caramel rather than a piece of chocolate covered caramel. There were just too many competing chocolates in here.
The dough itself was fantastic, and can probably be used simply on its own to make a delicious salted chocolate cookie. Check out the original post to see a video on how to make them (great video!)
- 1/2 cup (110g) butter
- 1 1/2 cups (350g) light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (55g) cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 3.5 oz (100g) milk or dark chocolate chips
- Flaky salt/ fleur de sel/ maldon salt, for sprinkling
- Approx. 1/2 cup (8 tbsp) Nutella
- 15-16 caramel-filled chocolates (or regular salted caramels)
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Take off the heat and stir in the brown sugar and eggs
- Add the cocoa, salt and baking powder and stir until well combined
- Add the flour and stir until no floury patches are left
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Take 1 heaped tbsp of dough, use your finger make a large indentation the centre of the dough
- Fill the indentation with a small blob of nutella (~ 1/2 tsp)
- Top it with a caramel-filled chocolate or caramel
- Top with a flattened tablespoon of dough, and seal the edges
- Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake for 8-10 minutes
- For the video and original recipe, check this link: http://www.topwithcinnamon.com/2013/09/twc-feat-sorted-video-salted-caramel-nutella-stuffed-double-chocolate-chip-cookies.html