What is a New Year without a Top 10? I have been blogging for exactly 325 days and have enjoyed every moment of it. I love food… and I’m so happy that I have some very faithful readers who have joined me on this journey (THANK YOU!). With that said, here is my top 10 Noms from 2009:
10) Disney World stands out in my mind for a very memorable eating trip in 2009. The dinner we had at Marrakash comes up often and I still can’t remember ever having a better sundae than the Ghiradelli one I had at Downtown Disney.
9) When Mike and I took the Culinary Walking Tour of Greenwich Village, we didn’t really know what to expect. It wound up being great for both food (we have gone back to these places a few times since then) and history.
8) I actually wound up going to Becco twice this year (Becco 1 and Becco 2). They are awesome for having an unlimited pasta tasting from their three pastas of the day and a pretty extensive wine list for under $25. But their Osso Bucco is what dreams are made of.
7) Every time I go to Koi it is amazing. It’s one of the very, very few restaurants I can go to over and over again (even multiple times in the same week). The crispy rice is amazing and I credit the Miso Glazed Cod with having started me eating fish for the first time.
6) The short ribs at Charles were great (well… I thought so until I had #2 on this list). We first sampled them at a nice fund-raising food festival and then I won a gift certificate by bidding $60 for a $75 gift certiciate. The braised lamb shank was exceptional and highly recommended.
5) Quality Meats had been recommended to me time and time again. While the steak was great, but not my favorite, the corn creme brulee was so good that I dream about it.
4) Eating at Montenapo, especially on someone else’s dime so we could order multiple courses without guilt (well, except waistline guilt), was a HUGE treat. It’s brand new and in the middle of an area that is known to wimp out on food. The Osso Bucco was the best I’ve ever had (even though I just had a taste of someone else’s) and the desserts were sensational. There wasn’t a bad bite in the entire meal.
3) I have loved Keens Steakhouse since the first time I tried it, however, the bar is especially amazing and I’m so glad Lori joined me for my first time. That potato and steak was heavenly and more restaurants should make merengue… especially if it’s that good!
2) The number two slot goes to a yet to be blogged about meal at Bottega (Michael Chiarello’s restaurant in Napa Valley). Why was it so good? You’ll just have to read the blog to find out!
1) My birthday dinner at WD-50 was epic. It is hands down the best meal I’ve ever had. We went whole hog and got the full tasting menu. Each dish was a new adventure… and not just because it looked cool. There were such wonderful flavors in everything and I really loved this place. #1 for the year… probably lifetime #1 to date.
- Grub Hut in NJ for the epic quantity of ribs
- Lunch at BLT Steak for the popovers
- Xie Xie for the 1000 Year Old Ice Cream Sandwich
- Korea Town for the culinary fun
- Schnippers for their awesome burgers and sweet potato fries
- Israel for Rimon Cafe
- Txikito for the suckling pig
Happy New Year Nommers!