I love dessert. Really… really love dessert. I was given a recipe from my lovely cousin, Adena, when I sent out a Facebook request for how to use up leftover fresh cranberries in my fridge. She sent a very easy recipe that I proceeded to modify for the sole reason that I do not love cranberries. They are just too tart for me. My solution? Add apples and more sugar! It was a success. The recipe also called to just put the berries into the pie plate and then top them, but I had a frozen pie crust in the freezer so I decided “why not?”
The fruit concoction was then topped with eggs, sugar, flour, butter, and oil.
We sprinkled the top with cinnamon and it browned up purrrrrfectly.
It was a perfect center too.
I’m pretty sure this was polished off in just a few days. WHOOPS!
Cranberry Nut Cake/(My comments in parenthesis for how to change it to a Cranberry Apple Pie)
- 2 cups cranberries- 1 bag (or lessen this to add slices of 1-2 apples)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 2 eggs beaten
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar (or a bit more if you don’t love cranberries)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 5 Tbsp Oil
- (Pie crust)
- Wash berries (and peel, core, and slice apples) and put in bottom of 8” or 9” pie plate (or pie crust if you’d rather)
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts (or mix it all together in a separate bowl and then pour in. Add extra sugar directly to fruit if you want it sweeter)
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and then slowly add sugar
- Stir in flour, butter, and oil
- Pour over cranberries (and apples)
- (Sprinkle top with cinnamon)
- Bake at 325 for 50 minutes