I have the incredible fortune of working right by the Union Square Greenmarket. Besides going out for awesome lunches, fresh veggies, wine tasting, and buying beautiful flowers, they sometimes have some rareties. It was here that we secured our bison meat as well as the ramps (and miscellaneous other goodies!). As I was searching for lunch, there was a vender cooking up some ostrich meat and singing it’s praises.
What is so good about ostrich? Glad you asked! It is high in protein and very low in fat (even less than turkey and less than half of chicken!) It’s low in calories and high in iron (the meat is almost as red as steak). Oh… and it’s delicious! The vendor was giving samples and good thing as it convinced me to buy them (even though they were quite expensive at $20 for this steak for 2).
We paired it with delicious roasted cauliflower.
It was a FANTASTIC portion and my whole plate came to just 8 points.
- 4-4oz Ostrich Steaks (no thicker than 3/4”)
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Marinate ostrich steaks in wocester sauce, garlic powder, and salt for about 30 minutes to an hour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Roast for about 15 minutes per pound (internal temp should be about 155 degrees)
- Remove from oven and slice